- Most Informative Excuse to Eat Cheese – Visiting Atlanta for the first time in 2014, the Parmigiano-Reggiano Academy is a traveling seminar featuring an intimate sensory analysis of Italy’s most well known cheese
- Best Chicken and Waffle Combination (Tie) – Infusion Bistro’s “Red Velvet Waffle & Chicken” and Red Sky Tapas’ “Buffalo Chicken & Waffle”
- Freshest “Farm-to-Table” Dish of 2014– Murphy’s “Tempura Fried, Stuffed Squash Blossoms” made with blossoms picked mere hours beforehand from a garden less than one mile away.
- Most Dubious Event That Turned Out To Be Awesome – The Low-Lactose Creations Dinner with Chef Caitlin Steininger hosted by the Southeast United Dairy Industry Association, Inc. (SUDIA) sounded like a sleeper, but was instead an educational and entertaining evening with surprisingly delicious food.
- The Most Incredibly Crowded Food Festival With The Best Name – Attack Of the Killer Tomatoes Festival held at the Goat Farm. Best advice: Get there EARLY!
- Most Anticipated And Yet Overrated Food Festival – Atlanta Street Food Festival is a wonderful gathering of food trucks in Piedmont Park, yet the organizers need to improve the wristband system. Just saying.
- Best Cocktail Concept As Performance Art – “Burning Down The House” at Sweet Auburn BBQ where a hickory log is torched until smoking and an Old-Fashioned glass is placed over the top to “smoke” the glass adding a unique flavor to the concoction.
- Best Place To Avoid The Spinach Dip – While the lamb pops at the The Atlanta Improv are among the best in the city, their spinach dip is much less impressive.
- Best Winning Cobbler Served With Artisanal Ice Cream (Argh!) – Kathleen Miliotis of Davio’s Atlanta with Denise Romeo of We Like to Cook! were the winners of the first High Road Craft "Cobbler Gobbler" with their Peppered Pineapple Cranberry Cobbler.
- Blogger Dinner That Almost Became A Musical – 14 members of the AFBS sauntered from Publik Draft House to Baraonda Ristorante during a Progressive Dinner looking like the filming of a musical on Peachtree Street.
- Best Conversations Revolving Around Food – The Atlanta Food & Wine Festival offers nearly 100 “classes,” many of which are discussion panels featuring truly fantastic dialogue on a variety of food-related topics.
- Best Opportunity Eat Your Way Through Atlanta – Celebrating its 13th year, Taste of Atlanta presents samples from more than 90 of the top Atlanta restaurants and chefs.
Tuesday, December 30, 2014
Atlanta Food Bloggers' Society - Best of 2014
The past year has provided our members many opportunities to experience the many varied offerings of the Atlanta food industry. This is a small sampling of the best of 2014: